push away the picking and pulling. touch is a necessary but oft’ forgot component of self-care. when alone with no one to cuddle some people turn toward “trich” or dermatillomania to quell a habitual anxiety impulse. Habit Reversal Training (HRT) involves reducing cause of stress, avoiding the trigger, becoming mindful of the habit, performing a muscular movement and reconsidering the impulse until it no longer is in the driver seat. self massage instead of picking provides the same principles as HRT or CBT in that it reduces stress, promotes relaxation and kindness for the self as opposed to shame, anger and isolation. rub a dub dub.
xox dr millie lytle nd
It’s easy to massage your own feet to refresh your body and mind daily. While sitting up, rest one foot on the other leg.
1. Put one hand on top of the foot and the other under the sole, then stroke smoothly from your toes to your ankles. Glide your hands back to your toes and repeat.
2. Support your foot with one hand and work on each toe individually. Squeeze it firmly, and gently stretch each toe with a gentle pull.
3. With one thumb on top of the other, do a line of firm pressures down the center of the sole and lines on either side. Then, with one thumb, do circular pressures on the arch and the ball of the foot.
4. Support your foot with one hand and make the other into a loose fist. Do knuckling movements all over the sole by rippling your fingers around in small circular movements.
5. Then, still holding the foot with one hand, hack the sole with your other hand, Flick your hand away the moment you touch the foot, so that the effect is light and springy.
6. Stroke around the ankle with your fingertips, as you stroke up toward the leg and gently as you glide back. Finish by stroking the foot as you did at the beginning.