know the ‘ins’ and mostly ‘outs’ of bowel action.
1. it’s normal to have an easy well formed bowel movement 1-3 times per day, ideally corresponding with the number of time you’ve eaten.
2. it’s not normal to ‘miss’ a day
3. high impact exercise (walking, running, dancing, stair climbing) uses gravity to assist in the compacting of stool in the colon and rectum
4. relaxing on the toilet properly promotes liberation
5. straining not only breaks blood vessels on the skin but can cause bleeding at the anus.
6. fluids and fibre are needed in large amounts to promote proper bowel action. 8-10 cups of liquid (ideally water) and a minimum of 30 grams of fibre. the standard north american diet contains 5-8 grams per day.
7. constipation is the most common cause of hemorrhoids, fissures
8. constipation contributes to bowel and colon cancer.
check out the top twenty fibre foods and other info here:
xox dr millie lytle nd